Home
 

Fort St. George

 
St George fort was built by the British East India Company. the fort was built in 1640 AD, under the direct supervision of Francis Day and Andrew Cogon. Today its used as a offices of Tamil Nadu Secretariat and the Legislative Assembly. The fort houses a St. Mary's Church and fort museum. St. Mary's Church the oldest Anglican church in India built in 1680 and the tombstones in it's courtyard are the oldest British tombstones in India. This ancient prayer house solemnised the marriages of Robert Clive and Governor Elinu-Yale, who later founded the Yale University in the States.
The Fort Museum is the repository of rare exhibits of weapons, uniforms, coins, costumes, medals and some other artifacts dating back to the British period. The flag staff at Fort St. George is still the tallest in India. South of the Fort is the War Memorial, a graceful monument built in 1939 in memory of the warriors who sacrificed their lives during the First World War. The Island Grounds, the biggest lung space in the city is situated on an island formed by the river Cooum. This ground is the eventful venue of Trade and the Tourist Fairs held periodically which are seasonal attractions. The High Court with the decorative domes and corridors reminiscent of Indo/Saracenic architecture and the adjacent Parry's corner are the important landmarks of Chennai . This area is always crowded and active. Built in 1892, the High Court of Chennai is believed to be the second largest judicial complex in the world.